Reference Tools - Sources for Brief, Authoritative Facts
- World Book Online -- complete World Book Encyclopedia (subscription service)
- Information Please -- an encylopedia, dictionary, and almanac
- FactMonster -- easy to read short articles
- HighBeam Encyclopedia -- articls from Britannica, Columbia Encyclpedia and Oxford Univ. Press materials
- Virtual Reference Library - 18 specializd encylopdia sets on a variety of topics, including geography, fashion, science and health (subscription service)
- American Heitage Dictionary of the English Language. 4th ed. 2000. Over 90,000 entries
- Merriam-Webster Online -- Dictionary and thesaurus. Also includes a Spanish-English dictionary and a medical dictonary
- OneLook -- search many dictionaries at once
- Dictionary.com -- dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, multilingual dictionary, and other language resources.
- Thesaurus.com -- online version of Roget's Thsaurus
- National Geographic Map Machine
- nationalatlas.gov -- a large variet of US maps, including downloadable, printable, interactive
- CIA World Factbook - -maps and other current information about countries.
- Lonely Planet -- maps and other information about travel to other regions
- infoplease World Atlas and Map Library -- basic maps
- infoplease -- statistics. lists, brief information
- World Almanac for Kids : facts and information on peope, countries, aniimal,s the environment and morer. part of the SIRS Discoverer Subscription service.