Mission and Beliefs
The mission of Thomas Harrison Middle School is to enable every student to acquire the knowledge, motivation and skills necessary to become a productive, healthy, lifelong learner. It is our goal to provide challenging educational experiences, in a safe, enriching environment, and celebrate the unique qualities each participant brings to the educational process.
- Each student is valued as a whole person with unique physical, social, artistic, personal and academic abilities and is provided with a wide variety of curricular and extra-curricular programs to meet these needs.
- Students have different learning styles and are provided with instructional approaches that are engaging, developmentally appropriate and effective.
- Interdisciplinary teams and cross-disciplinary instruction foster a caring school community where each student has a sense of belonging.
- All students must be challenged to work their hardest and achieve their best.
- Students with special needs ( e.g. special education, English as a second language, gifted and talented, at-risk) require unique services, programs and resources to achieve success.
- Students are provided with a variety of assessment opportunities and strategies to demonstrate their level of achievement in all areas of learning including, but not limited to, testing.
- Every school participant acknowledges human dignity and builds community by practicing hospitality, civility and respect.
- Culturally diverse activities enhance understanding of different peoples and cultures to build a sense of school community.
- A positive, safe, affirming school environment, with consistent, predictable, discipline programs, promotes student learning.
- All students must respect the learning needs of others. Those students unable to function positively and effectively are placed in alternative educational programs.
- The commitment to continuous improvement and the celebration of success in all aspects of the educational process form the basis of creating lifelong independent learners.
- Our school provides comprehensive and effective technology opportunities to prepare students and educators to succeed in an interdependent and complex society.
- The school's mission is effectively advanced when teachers, administrators and school division personnel recognize and respect the professional responsibilities of one another.
- Educators, parents, students and the community share the responsibility to communicate in order to advance the school's beliefs and mission.