Language Arts, Grade 6
Overview: To better comprehend difficult medical terminology in the realistic fiction novel, “”Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie,”" students research the stages of grieving using IPads.The research is then used to generate QR Coded bookmarks to help future readers of the novel better understand certain events in the novel.
Objectives: Language Arts 6.3, 6.6, 6.9a
Time Required: Two 60-minute class periods
Technology Used: IPads, Internet, QR codes, IPods, word processing on computers
- Students read assigned chapter in novel.
- In groups, students are assigned one stage of grieving to research on IPads.
- Students then go to the computer lab where each person in the group types a summary of the stage of grief and copy/pastes it into the QR Code website to generate a QR code specific to their group.
- The QR code is then turned into a bookmark and placed at specific places of the novel to help readers better understand what the main characters challenges are concerning the grieving process.
- QR Codes were displayed around room briefly so others could scan and read about stages they did not research. (jigsaw-like)
Assessment: Students were assessed not only on the content of their QR Code, but also on their ability to make a text to world connection between the characters in the book and the stages of grief. The text to world connection was typed under the QR Code on the bookmark.
Describe how the use of technology affected student learning: Using iPads always gets the kids excited! The realistic fiction novel they were reading dealt with the very serious issue of death and grieving. We decided to investigate the stages of grieving and offer readers of the novel extra information to better understand what the character was feeling. We spent time researching on the iPad, then created a QR code bookmark to place at strategic places in the novel to boost reader understanding.
This activity was very beneficial in that the students not only researched using various modes of technology, but they also made their learning authentic by placing QR Code bookmarks in the novel for future readers!