Use of Student-owned Devices on School Network
Harrisonburg City Schools understands that technology plays a key role in the lives of today’s students, and some students would like to be able to use their personal computers or other technology devices at school for schoolwork and to enhance educational opportunities. With this privilege come responsibilities and issues that must be addressed.
HHS allows the use of student-owned electronic device, including but not limited to laptops, iPods, iPads, or cell phones, on the division network. All use must be in adherence of Student Use of the Internet HCPS Policy 752 and the Acceptable Use Agreement. Guidelines are in place to make sure that the use of these devices does not distract from the educational process. Devices will only be used during classroom time for educational purposes and not personal use. A student who brings their own device to school is personally responsible for it and any damage and charges related to the use of the device are the responsibility of the individual.
- Students must obtain teacher permission before using an electronic device during classroom instruction.
- Student use of an electronic device must support the instructional activities currently occurring in each classroom and lab and must adhere to the Acceptable Use Agreement.
- Students must turn off and put away an electronic device when requested by a teacher.
- Students should be aware that their use of the electronic device could cause distraction for others in the classroom, especially in regards to audio. Therefore, audio should be muted or headphones used when appropriate. Any music would need to be stored on the device and not streamed or downloaded while on the school network.
- Students may use their personal electronic device before school, at lunch, and after school in adult supervised areas only, such as the Media Center or classrooms with the teacher present, as long as it does not create a distraction or disruption for others in the area. If an adult asks a student to put his/her electronic device away, the student must comply.
- Students are NOT permitted to use their personal electronic device to access the Internet by any manner other than connecting through the secure wireless network provided.