Class Web Pages
All staff members have a designated space that they can use to create a web page on a server named staff.harrisonburg.k12.va.us. Once you have created your web pages, the address of your web site is http://staff.harrisonburg.k12.va.us/~username/, where username refers to your HCPS email user name.
SOS, a free content management system, is available for staff members to manage their web page. Using this, staff members can login and edit pages from any computer with internet access. Contact your school technology specialist or ITRT to create your account.
As you get started, think about the information that you would want to share.The following items should be included on all class web pages:
- Home page with site name, link to the school home page, disclaimer for outside links, and “Last Updated” date
- Description of class or classes
- Contact Information
- Homework or units of study (updated)
- Calendar or events page includes project due dates, tests, field trips, special events, etc.
- Links page includes links to portaportals, resources used for class, e-textbooks, etc.
Use of Blogs as Class Web Pages
Blogging sites are changing constantly so they will need to be reviewed for appropriateness as class web pages. If blogs are used as class webpages, the webmaster must moderate comments, the navigation buttons (next blog, etc.) must be removed, and the blog must be monitored daily to ensure appropriate content. Please do not use a redirect for staff web pages to link to external pages since these pages are not housed on our server. Teachers who are using external pages, such a blog, can create a simple home page to upload to the staff server that includes a link to "more information" or something of that nature.